Reprinted from Newsletter 123, dated 2007 July

Convent re-conversion to grandeur

Jim Nagel

A large stone building with scaffolding along much of its face.

The Priory, the Georgian house at the right of the photo, once part of the St Louis convent and school and then of Millfield’s Abbey School, is to be grand again, as two dwellings of 3,500 sq ft. The drawing room of the rear unit is the original 20ft × 30ft salon with 20ft ceilings and windows.

The developer, Malcolm Lambert of Wells, is keen to restore the windows and asks the society if archive photos or plans might still exist.

The taller building at left, purpose-built by the convent as a school in 1926, is also becoming two large dwellings, on the scale of its neighbour. Richard Middleton is the developer here. Both projects hope to finish by year end; neither is connected with the new-build Cavendish retirement homes at the rear of the properties.